Applicant Privacy Statement
Last updated: 09/16/2019
Thank you for your interest in employment with McDonald’s! This Statement applies to personal information McDonald’s Corporation or McDonald’s USA (collectively referred to as “McDonald’s”) collect in connection with applications for employment with McDonald’s submitted via our Web sites, mobile apps, or other digital interfaces.
We collect the information you provide during the application process, which may include the following:
- Contact information such as your name (first, middle, last), home address, telephone number and email address, your birth month and year, and your age;
- Your work experience (e.g. company, location, job title, start and end date), educational background (e.g. school/university, highest level of education, major area of study, graduation year, degree, GPA) professional certifications, language capabilities, your area/department/role of interest within McDonald’s, total compensation expectation, work schedule preferences, first possible start date, the fact that you might be subject to a non-compete, restrictive covenant or any other agreement that might affect your ability to accept a position and work at McDonald's, references, letters of recommendation, interview notes, the source you heard about the job vacancy, and availabilities to schedule an in person interview;
- military status, family members who work at McDonald’s, your right to work in the selected location, and any limitations on your right to work associated with your employment sponsorship, if applicable;
- Your gender, if you choose to provide it;
- Information we need to provide you with an offer (e.g. rate of pay, start date, job title);
- Video recording of interviews and assessments of video interviews; and
- The results of other application-related assessments.
You may have the option to add attachments or further information (i.e., a CV or Resume, certifications, language capabilities or a letter of recommendation) which might contain additional personal information. Such attachments will be treated in the same way as other personal information you provide to us during the application process.
We also may collect information on ethnicity, physical limitations or other medical or health-related workplace accommodations, the results of background screening searches including credit and criminal background checks, educational background checks, and drug and alcohol testing.
We use this information to assess your qualifications for employment and other related services during the application and recruitment stage. This includes contacting you after you have applied, contacting references that you have provided as well as potentially carrying out background checks. We also may use your information to comply with any applicable legal obligations, record-keeping or reporting obligations as well as to establish, exercise or defend against any legal claims.
In order to carry out the application and recruitment process under this Statement, your information may be shared with other McDonald’s employees such as your potential manager(s), members of the human resources team as well as other individuals within McDonald’s.
Your information may also be shared with various third parties that assist us during the recruitment process. For example, we use third party service providers to collect your information as well as for other services such as carrying out background checks or work-related assessments. We may share information with third parties when we believe in good faith that the disclosure is required to comply with a court order, subpoena, warrant or legal process. We may also share your information in the event of a merger, acquisition, asset sale or other related transaction or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is required by law or to protect the safety of our employees, the public or McDonald’s property.
For students, we may share information with your university in order to verify your application and/or employment status at your or your university’s request.
If you chose a third party to submit your application for positions with McDonald’s, we may receive information about you, which might contain additional personal information. Such information will be treated in the same way as other personal information you provide to us during the application process.
McDonald’s will retain the personal information that we process pursuant to this Statement for the duration of time necessary to assess your qualifications for employment, and for the period of time thereafter as provided in our retention policies. You may also elect to have your information remain with McDonald’s, for example, if you continue to maintain a career profile on one of our websites.
We use technical, physical and organizational security measures designed to protect against unauthorized access, disclosure, damage or loss of personal information. The collection, transmission and storage of information can never be guaranteed to be completely secure. However, we take steps designed to ensure that appropriate security safeguards are in place internally and with our third party service providers to protect your information.
Cookies and other technologies
A “cookie” is a small text file that is placed onto an Internet user’s web browser or device and is used to remember and/or obtain information about the user.
A “web beacon” is a small object or image that is embedded into a web page, application, or email and is used to track activity. They are also sometimes referred to as pixels and tags.
Please note the following:
- You might be assigned a cookie when using our Web sites and mobile apps.
- We may use both session (for the duration of your visit) and persistent (for the duration of a fixed period of time) cookies and other tracking technologies.
- uniquely identify you or your device;
- allow you to access and use our Web sites and mobile apps, where without them, our Web sites and mobile apps may not work properly;
- further system security where appropriate;
- collect information for statistical purposes, in order to measure use of our Web sites and mobile apps;
- improve our products and services;
- help us monitor the performance (e.g., traffic, errors, page load time, popular sections, etc.) of our Web sites and mobile apps;
- remember you, for your convenience, when you visit our Web sites and mobile apps;
- help customize your experience; and
- for other purposes described in the section of this privacy statement titled, “How we use your information.”
For example, we may use certain technologies to determine whether you have opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail, and how you use the pages and content in our Web sites and mobile apps.
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive a cookie or if you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. Click on the “Help” section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features available on a Web site.
Some newer web browsers may have a "Do Not Track" preference that transmits a "Do Not Track" header to the websites you visit with information indicating that you do not want your activity to be tracked. McDonald’s does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created
Where video is available on our online services, we may target and track the videos you view. You consent to our tracking of your video viewing through online services or third-party social media for up to two years, or as otherwise permitted by applicable law, or until you withdraw your consent.
We may also have providers of other apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our online services, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, which may also use automated methods to collect information about how you use these features. These organizations may use your information in line with their own policies.
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to contact us for any other reason relating to our personal information practices, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Privacy Statement is in effect as of the date noted at the top of the Statement. We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we do, we will post the revised version here and change the “last updated date” (the date it applies from) at the top of the Statement. You should check here regularly for the most up-to-date version of the Statement.